Well, we opened on Tuesday and had a great time doing it. The turn out was excellent and we were so happy that so many friends, family, colleagues and museums represented. We drank some German beer and wine courtesy of the Diefenbunker, were pleased to listen to the interesting and kind words of German Ambassador Matthias Höpfner and Diefenbunker Director Alexandra Badzak, and even cleared our throats a little to thank all those who have helped us out over the past year and a half. Graham Iddon, photographer and fellow museum studies graduate documented the night nicely. Thanks to everyone who made it out to Carp for our opening!
Alexandra Badzak, Director - Diefenbunker Museum
Dr. Dean Oliver, Director - Canadian War Museum, Research & Exhibits
Exhibit F was on CBC Ottawa Morning Radio at 8:15am on Monday, May 11th 2009. You can listen to some of the interview here:
CBC Ottawa Morning
Thanks for all the support and interest in our work.
The Exhibit Team:
Grant Vogl & Eric Espig
Exhibit F hit the newspaper today with a little positive exposure. Erin Fitzgerald from the West Carleton Review interviewed the team a few weeks ago and the article was published in this week's issue of the local paper. Great to get some press! Thanks Erin!
it was also picked up by the Perth Courier
For full article, click here.
Posted by Grant Vogl at 20:34
This is the e-mailable graphic we came up with for our invitation-only opening night. We are also happy to be hosting the German Ambassador to Canada, who will be speaking briefly as well. The invitation is made up of both sides of the 600 postcards we printed for distribution. 9 4x6 double sided colour postcards fit on 12x18 glossy cardstock perfectly for a cost of 0.20 cents a pop.
It feels very strange to watch 5 months boiled down to 50 seconds...
To clean up the acrylic by anywhere from: scraping off paint, to removing surface scratches to polishing it up to show-quality shine we used the following products and they all performed very well.
To remove dried paint from the acrylic we scraped off as much as we could with a blade then used Methyl Hydrate, which is also very effective at helping to remove adhesives. To smooth out surface scratches you can use Novus 1-2-3 and to add a finished polish as well as provide a protective anti-static film we used Spraywash Plastic Cleaner
Construction of the first video interactive was started today. An existing pedestal was first lightly sanded, then, using a printed mock-up, the hole position was determined for button/switch placement.
View of threaded rod and lighting box from above the ceiling tiles.
Head in the ceiling! Be extremely careful when working in old structures. I wore a respirator, goggles and long sleeves to ensure that I didn't inhale or come into contact with any dust, insulation or asbestos.
Lights up! Currently, the installation is complete but the lights are not aimed or balanced.
Weeding out 180 feet of vinyl barb-wire. It was drawn with an illustrator brush (CS3), rasterized and then livetrace-d using "simple trace". We could safely fit 18' of barb-wire onto one 3' x 24" piece of sign-vinyl.
***forgot to change the camera's white balance - we installed the halogen "track" lighting today! see tomorrow night's post for details!